Equipment under pressure (PED)
PRESSURE EQUIPMENT DIRECTIVE (PED)
Directive 2014/68/EU – CE marking
The Directive applies to design, manufacture and conformity assessment of pressure equipment and assemblies under a maximum allowable pressure PS of 0.5 bar.
The PED Directive covers a wide range of equipment, such as containers and tanks, pipes, safety valves, steam boilers; the assemblies made by a lot of equipment must comply with this Directive as well.
CSI has been working in the field of CE marking of pressure equipment directive since 2002, as Notified Certification Body (NB0497).
Equipment and assemblies under pressure
PED Directive requires the assessment of all equipment under pressure whose pressure exceeds 0,5 bar in order to establish the risk category, the compliance with the Essential Safety Requirements (ESR) and the procedures of verification and attestation provided by the Directive itself.
Examples of equipment/assembly included in the Directive:
- Heat exchangers
- Pressure filters
- Fixed tanks
- Valves and other safety devices
- Pipes and sketch
- Fire extinguishers and firefighting systems
- Pressurized skid
- Industrial refrigeration systems
- Hydraulic systems
The Directive divides the equipment under pressure and their components into a classification in terms of risk: from 1 to 4 according to the object of certification (vessels, heated pressure equipment, pipes) fluid contained (liquid, gas), the fluid danger.
The risk category is established according to the physical parameters (pressure, volume/ND, temperature).
Classes 2nd, 3rd and 4th require the intervention of a Notified Body, such as CSI.
Certification steps with a Notified Body
- Submit a Ce Marking request
- Submit to CSI the design and the preliminary technical documentation in order to be approved
- Perform an inspection/test in the presence of CSI
- Give CSI the documents when the technical file is complete.
- Receive the PED Conformity Certificate by CSI
- Write the EU Declaration of Conformity
- Affix the CE marking, followed by the CSI identification number CSI NB 0497.
Following the above mentioned steps, in case of serial production, surveillance audits are carried out on the product/production.
In case of any further question or quotation, please contact:
Tel. 0039 02 38.330.205
Tel. 0039 02 38.330.337
Nando - European Commission - Europe - PED Directive Notification